Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Elle s'appelle Ruby

I went to see a movie tonight! It was called Elle s'appelle Ruby (it's called Ruby Sparks in the U.S.).  I thought it was really cute and well-done. It's by the same directors as Little Miss Sunshine, and while I think that was more lighthearted (I still cry from laughing so hard when I see the dance scene), this was a quirky and funny movie. It was in English with French subtitles, though there were a couple scenes in French, so I really practiced my language skills. 

There are some interesting things about French movie theaters. First of all, no butter for the popcorn! That's the best part about movie popcorn - the fake butter. Luckily, the popcorn was salty enough to make up for it, but I was a little disappointed. They do have kettle corn as an option though...I have only seen salty popcorn as an option in the U.S.  Also, there are a lot more ads than there are previews before the movie starts. There were several car ads and soda ads...I definitely prefer previews. Then I know what movies I have to come back for! 

Speaking of advertisements, there's often a banner at the bottom of junk food ads (Domino's pizza, soda) that say you should eat 5 vegetables or fruits per day or you should be sure to get enough daily exercise.  Or the announcer says something about how you should avoid snacking throughout the day. We definitely don't have disclaimers like that on our TV or radio ads.  I guess it does make me think twice when I'm having my afternoon croissant. 

And speaking of food (I'm so good at transitions!), they have stores dedicated to frozen foods! I know we have some big frozen food sections in our grocery stores, but here they have a store called Picard which only sells frozen foods. There are quiches, vegetables, pizzas, meats, pastas, herbs...so many things! My roommate really likes their stuff, so I went the other day to check it out. I picked up some quiches and molten chocolate cakes. The cakes are so good. I ate two in 24 hours. (They are small individual servings.)  And it's so easy...you just put it in the oven. Then my kitchen smells like I cooked a meal! 


No comments:

Post a Comment