Thursday, April 11, 2013

Strike at the Louvre

I was wondering why there have been a lot of police cars outside the Louvre the past few days.  Museum workers went on strike on Wednesday in protest over pickpockets.  The thieves have become more aggressive recently...spitting, threatening, and kicking staff. 
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/10/louvre-closed-pickpockets

The other week, I saw a couple of kids at the Louvre running and then walking fast and looking over their shoulder.  I was trailing a little bit behind them on my usual walk home from school (it's a pretty sweet walk - I see the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Palais Royal and Opera House).  When I reached the crosswalk, I heard a siren and saw a man jump out of a car and try to grab the boy, causing the kid to fall to the ground.  Then the man picked him up, shoved him in the car with several other men, and drove off.  It happened extremely fast.  Everyone around stared at the scene, and I was pretty confused and surprised no one (including me) did anything.  I justified not doing anything because I figured he was probably a pickpocket, and an undercover police officer picked him up.  This article makes me feel more justified...but I guess I still feel guilty for not questioning it.

I feel pretty safe in Paris, but I went to an English class (I don't need help with English, I was helping them) at a senior club the other day, and they were telling me how dangerous Paris is.  They don't go on certain metro lines at night, never switch trains at Chatelet, don't go out past 10pm (they're probably also sleepy by then), and they told me how they've been pickpocketed and grabbed by people demanding money.  I'm very glad I haven't experienced that and will cross my fingers for the next couple of months.  (Disclaimer: I was nearly pickpocketed, but I felt someone going for my iphone in my coat pocket, so I put my hand over it and turned around to glare at him, effectively scaring him away.)


No comments:

Post a Comment