Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Krysten!

She gets her own blog title.  My sister came to visit, and it was lots of fun!  We had some good adventures.  The first night she was here, we went to a bar with my roommates and had some Belgian beers and croque madames.  When we were heading home, we were stopped in Gare de Lyon by a man who flashed opened his wallet and touched Krysten on the arm, and she swatted him away and walked quickly.  Then he started yelling at her (in French), and another man came up to her, and my roommate and I slowed down to hear what they were saying.  It turned out they were plainclothes train control people who wanted to check our tickets to make sure that we had paid.  They were pretty mad that Krysten brushed them off, but Sabine and I tried to calm everyone down, explaining that we were tourists, didn’t know what they were saying, they weren’t in uniform, etc.  I totally understand Krysten’s reaction; it’s not smart to just stop for a group of guys in an empty train station at midnight.  Sabine and I had never seen people checking who aren’t in uniform, so everyone was wary and confused.  It turned out fine though!  
 
On Thursday, we went to Versailles to walk around the gardens and the castle.  I think Krysten and Jennifer enjoyed the trip, but it tainted my image of Versailles a little.  I visited Versailles in late summer, and it was sunny and the gardens were beautiful.  This time, there was a lot of construction, no flowers, and bare trees.  I guess that’s to be expected in winter, but I hadn’t really thought about it. 

On Friday, we went to Laduree (she is obsessed) and bought macarons to eat on top of the terrace at Printemps.  It was a warm day, so we spent a while just sitting on a bench and looking at the city.  We also walked around Montmartre, ate some croissants, took pictures and hung out.  It was nice that she had already seen a lot of the tourist sites so that we could just have a low key time hanging out with each other.   Come back!!

2 comments: